Continued from page 1
5. Reduce animations. In fact, eliminate animations (especially banners) from your homepage altogether. They distract from your copy and don't do anything to improve sales power of your homepage. So what if they look cool? Are you in it to look cool or make money?
6. Get rid of outbound links. Why heck link AWAY from your Web site on your homepage? If you don't want people leaving your site, then don't provide them with an opportunity to do so. As simple as that.
7. Put up testimonials. Find something nice people have said about your business and put them up as testimonials on your homepage (ask for permission first of course). Subject to approval of person who sent you testimonial, include name and email address of person at end (and their URL if applicable). Testimonials are very important credibility builders. You MUST use them (if you haven't received any shining testimonials from your visitors, you're probably doing something wrong).
8. Keep re-working your copy. Your homepage copy will be a work in progress. It will take up to several weeks to get it right. You must constantly read through it and make adjustments, each time making it tighter and tighter. Do NOT write about yourself or your company on your homepage. It's all about your target audience and their needs and wants. Focus on BENEFITS that your product has to offer. And don't try to get your copy perfect in one go: that's impossible. You need to leave it for a couple of days, then re-visit with fresh eyes, re-work, leave for a couple of day, re-visit, re-work and so on and so on. Until your copy is totally leak proof.
9. Finally: TEST TEST TEST! This is probably most important aspect of doing business online. You must test everything you do, and if it doesn't work, you need to try something else. If you for example change your headline and sales suddenly increase significantly (and you haven't carried out any major marketing campaigns), then your headline is probably a winner. To be absolutely sure, revert back to old headline for a week or so and check if sales drop. If they do, then you definitely have a winning headline, so stick with it. Yes, you might lose some money reverting to old headline for a week, but as a result of knowing what works you'll be able to apply it and increase your sales.
Said Rouhani is the editor of the All-About-Making-Money-Online Ezine. Subscribe now for FREE ebook containing 50 home-based businesses you can start for under $500 (click below): http://www.all-about-making-money-online.com/newsletter/