Continued from page 1
Most people associate wearing of a ring on left hand ring finger to mean that a significant commitment of some sort has been made.
If promise is for pre-engagement, many couples choose to wear this ring on their left hand ring finger. They then switch ring to their right hand once actual engagement ring or wedding band is received.
Likewise a ring exchanged for promise of monogamy or fidelity would be worn on left hand ring finger to symbolize that wearer's heart is taken.
Where did promise ring originate?
Rings themselves have been symbolic for many thousands of years. The circle has no beginning and no end and is a strong symbol for eternity.
Have you ever heard of a scribbling ring? In sixteenth century England, uncut diamond crystals were set into rings and exchanged by lovers. The wearers of these scribbling rings would use points of diamonds to etch (or "scribble") romantic writings to each other in glass, mirrors or windows.
Another popular ring exchanged during Shakespearian times was called a Posey Ring. Posey rings are inscribed with poetic phrases or dates significant to wearer.
It is believed that wearing words next to ones skin has a magical effect. These symbolic words may be carved on outside or inside of ring, or on both sides, there is no right or wrong way to do it!
Posey rings are a romantic way to share an expression of love and come engraved with beautiful sayings. It is no surprise that since French is said to be language of love -- French poseys are very popular. Some special phrases include:
- A Ma Vie De Coer Entier My whole heart for my whole life
- A Vila Mon Coer, Gardi Li Mo Here is my heart, guard it well
- Amor Meus My Love
- Autre Ne Veuil No one, but you
- De M'Amoure Soiez Sure Of my love be sure
Ok, so maybe French isn't your thing - how about one of these:
- In Gaelic - Anam Cara Soul Friend
- In English I Am My Beloved's & My Beloved Is Mine
- In Latin - Semper Amenus Our love is forever
- In German - Mine Genyst My heart
- In Hebrew - Mazel Tov Marital good luck ring
- Christian With This Ring, I Thee Wed
- In Italian - Mani In Fede Hands Together in Faith
- In Spanish - No Tengo Mas Que Darte I have nothing more to give you but my heart
Use your imagination and write a Posey of your own!
The list of Posey ring sayings is endless! If you really want to "wow" love of your life, come up with a special phrase that is meaningful to just two of you. Having a special ring engraved with one of your own poseys would be a very romantic way for you to share your most heartfelt sentiments with a special someone you care about!
Mary Ferguson is a successful writer and internet entrepreneur. She has written many informative jewelry articles on such topics as promise rings, promise ring significance and promise ring etiquette.