Continued from page 1
1. Create Sub-sections - Establish individual areas for conversation, reading, games or just plain relaxing. Partitioning a room in a way that’s invisible or apparent will help you make most of a large, luxurious space.
2. Angle Furniture - Move sofas and chairs out from walls and angle them into groups. This will facilitate conversation and give room a more inviting feel.
3. Add Area Rugs - Break up large floor spaces, whether hardwood or wall-to-wall carpet, with an assortment of area rugs. This will add character and make room cozier.
4. Use Larger Furniture Pieces - Do not be timid about using over-scaled furniture, such as tall armoires, deep sofas, and high-backed chairs. In proportion to large space, they will fit right in.
5. Include Other Minimizing Objects - Visually divide up room with decorative folding screens and tall plants. These will give illusion of multiple small spaces within a large room.
Window treatments are a critical part of any room whether large or small. Here are a few tips to keep in mind, depending on size and shape of your windows:
1. Use Appropriate Window Coverings – When space is limited you want to maximize natural light, so choose pleated shades or a sheer silhouette. They take up less space when stacked than blinds. If a window is close to a corner and prevents you from stacking a drapery, consider a one-way draw to side away from corner.
2. Use Larger Draperies - Design and measure for draperies to hang above window and to reach floor. Also extend drapery panels horizontally beyond sides of window frame. This technique will increase proportions of small windows and give room a richer look.
3. Vary Color Scheme - In a large room with multiple windows, blend and reverse colors on different windows. The contrast will break monotony and create a more interesting look.
When in doubt about your interior décor, hire a professional interior decorator. Their experience enables them to take care of every aspect of space and they will think of many details that you might miss. But whether you decide to hire a professional or to go it alone, I hope techniques I’ve listed above will help you make most of your living space. Your home is a very important place, so turn it into a cozy and comfortable space where you enjoy living!
Holly Linington is a designer and the owner of Planet Sofa. For over 15 years Planet Sofa has been providing customers with stylish, high quality furniture at affordable prices. They are committed to offering pieces that combine aesthetics and utility with ergonomics and comfort, and their products are available on the web.