Continued from page 1
* Allow 2-3 drinks per child although that will change according to weather and how boisterous activities are. Make sure that disposable cups aren't too flimsy, as with little kids paper cups tend to get a bit soggy round lip and thin plastic ones tend to get crushed by little hands. The same applies to paper plates. I always write names on each cup and plate (or stick pictures on) to save mixing them up as kids always forget which one is theirs. Party Food Boxes are a great and fun alternative and are much easier for younger kids to use.
* To bake or not to bake. Ask yourself how much time you have, how good are your cooking skills and what is your budget. I tend to do a mixture of both shop bought and homemade party food. I must admit that shop bought party food often works out cheaper if you buy shops own brand and in bulk and obviously saves a huge amount of time and energy. Buy foodstuffs that have a long shelf life or are freezable so then there is less wastage. Or you could do a mix such as buying a packet biscuit/cake mix and decorating goodies yourself. Your child will love to help I'm sure!
* Where you are going to set up party food table and where do you want kids to eat? Remember, if it's a buffet guests will need somewhere to sit. We often lay down a big mat which all kids sit on and have a sort of indoor picnic if it's too wet/cold to be outdoors.
* Will some of parents be staying for party? I don't usually cater specially for adults but if you have time it's nice sometimes to prepare one party food item that is more adult appropriate although adults still like crisps and popcorn!
* At end of party you won't feel like cooking for family so make sure that you have something ready cooked in freezer.
If you would like some really easy party recipes that always go down well with kids, take a look at www.kids-partycabin.com You will also find lots of ideas for kids party themes and games to ensure that you have a great party.
Nicole is the mother of 3 children and the author of kids-partycabin.com Kids Party Cabin came about as Nicole realised that busy parents were often in need of a place to go for advice, ideas and resources to help them plan a kids party.
http://www.kids-partycabin.com does just that - party themes, party food, games, decorations, entertainment directory and lots of great resources.