Continued from page 1
2. Burn marks: Lightly sand area, use a damp cloth to pick up grit, and then refinish as desired.
3. Scratches and gouges: Conceal shallow scratches with matching wood putty or a putty stick. After area is dry, sand and refinish. Refinishing Your Worn Hardwood Floors Will Recapture Their Original Beauty and Value In a home with shabby hardwood floors, biggest improvement you can make is to refinish floors. Begin by making any necessary repairs, and then removing all furniture and drapes and sealing vents and registers in room so that you wont spread dust throughout house. Sanding floors is easiest to do with a drum sander and an edging machine for sides and corners of room. You can rent these machines, and it is a good idea to rent a buffer or floor polisher at same time. Plan to make three passes with your sanding equipment, using increasingly finer sandpaper each time. Vacuum carefully and pick up every bit of fine dust and grit with tacking cloths. All dust and dirt must be removed. You can now apply a stain if you wish or you can leave natural color and design of wood such as popular oak, maple, or cherry to be displayed. Polish and clean dust and dirt from floor again, and then apply your sealer a polyurethane or a water-based urethane that provides a protective barrier, or oil and wax, which penetrates wood and protects from within. Carefully read all information accompanying each product, follow safety advice, and apply as many coats of stain or sealer as suggested by manufacturer of products you are using. Hardwood Floor Care Means Providing Ongoing Floor Protection As well as regular cleaning, and repairing and refinishing when necessary, there are a number of protective measures you can take to preserve beauty of your hardwood:
1. Use area rugs and mats in high traffic areas and sites of frequent spills (e.g., in front of stove, sink, and refrigerator). Move these rugs frequently so that these areas of floor remain same color as exposed floor. As well, it is best to choose cotton mats as they do not trap water under them as rubber or vinyl might.
2. Keep high-heeled shoes in good repair and avoid using stiletto heels.
3. Keep nails trimmed on pets.
4. Clean up spills immediately with a paper towel or dry cloth. A damp cloth can be used for sticky spills, but dry spot immediately afterwards with another towel or cloth.
5. Lift rather than drag furniture when moving it and use felt contacts under furniture legs to prevent scratches and gouges.
6. Use sheers or blinds to protect your floors from discoloration caused by direct sun rays. With proper care and maintenance, your hardwood floors will retain their beauty and enhance any dιcor that you choose. When your floors become worn, or if they become damaged, they can be restored to their former glory with a little time, effort, and money. Use Internet to check out quality products, read information on how to use them, compare prices, and place your orders. We can help with all your hardwood floor care needs everything from discount hardwood flooring to hardwood cleaners and all items can be purchased online and delivered to your door. Let us help you keep your hardwood floors looking their best.
Laura Gray is currently freelance writing and enjoys providing information and moneysaving tips to consumers who are in the market for hardwood floors and hardwood floor care.