Continued from page 1
7. RECORD your interviews -- even if you take excellent notes!. Thereís no substitute for being able to replay comments as many times as needed to get an accurate transcription of what was said. Minicassette recorders are cheap, small and easy to carry around. If doing a telephone interview, there are inexpensive devices that connect recorder to your phone. NOTE: Some states do not allow recording of telephone conversations without knowledge and permission of those being recorded. Some people do not feel comfortable having their conversations recorded. Whether doing interview by telephone or in person, itís always best to ask permission to record it. Just tell them it helps you to get their comments as accurately as possible because your note-taking skills are lacking. Also tell them that they will have final approval of their comments used in your ebook. This will ease their reluctance to have interview recorded.
8. TAKE NOTES of interview -- even if youíre recording it! Never totally rely on a recorderÖ batteries can die, tape can wear out or end without auto-reversing, telephone connector might be hooked up wrong, etc. Always get as much down manually as possible to back up your recording.
9. TRANSCRIBE your interview as soon as possible. (Again, email interviews do not apply). This is particularly critical if your recorder failed and youíre relying on your hastily scribbled notes Ė and your memory to decipher them!
10. INCORPORATE THE EXPERTíS COMMENTS into your ebook. This does not have to be done in typical interview Q&A format, but that is easiest. How you incorporate comments depends on writing style of your ebook. (This article doesnít go into that.)
11. PROVIDE THE FIRST DRAFT of your ebook to your expert and ask him to verify accuracy of information attributed to him. This is important. The last thing you want to do is misquote him or get some of facts mixed up. Plus he may even provide additional useful information as he reviews your ebook. Another added bonusÖ by getting his approval, youíre gaining his trust. If you wish to do follow-up ebooks in future on same general topic, itíll be easy to get this expert to assist you again.
12. MODIFY draft to incorporate expertís comments.
13. FINALIZE and sell your ebook! (This is really fun part!)
14. FULFILL YOUR AGREEMENT with expert. Has he been paid? Did he receive his copy of ebook? Even if he did interview for free and asked for nothing in return, send him a free copy of ebook along with a nice thank-you note.
See? You donít have to be an expert or write only about what you know. Virtually anyone can write about anything with right tools. For more information on how to write and sell your own ebooks, visit http://myks.sitesell.com/propelprofits.html
Bonnie Lowe is an award-winning writer who has had thousands of articles published in both offline and online media.