History of Jamaican Coffee

Written by Randy Wilson


Continued from page 1

True Jamaican Blue Mountain coffees are full-bodied, moderately acidy and richly complex, though occasionally marred by a slight mustiness, which is characteristic of many Caribbean coffees.

The Jamaican coffee market has had its share of setbacks from worker shortages aroundrepparttar turn ofrepparttar 144779 20th century torepparttar 144780 complete shut down of production for two years due to hurricane devastation in 1988. Early inrepparttar 144781 exportation of Jamaican coffee, Canada wasrepparttar 144782 largest consumer with over 60% of all coffee exports bound for this country. In 1943repparttar 144783 Canadian government declaredrepparttar 144784 quality of Jamaican coffee unacceptable and stopped all importation.

In 1944repparttar 144785 Jamaican government establishedrepparttar 144786 Central Coffee Clearing House, where all coffee bound for export was cleaned, inspected and graded, in an attempt to raiserepparttar 144787 standard of Jamaican coffee. In 1950repparttar 144788 Jamaican coffee growers established their own governing body,repparttar 144789 Jamaican Coffee Industry Board, to improve and maintainrepparttar 144790 quality and reputation of Jamaican coffee.

The JCIB successfully accomplished its goal through setting and enforcing standards for growing, harvesting, processing and marketing of its product. Today, Jamaican coffee is known for its high-quality. Annual production of Jamaican coffee stands around 6,600,000 lbs. of which about 85% is exported to Japan. The remaining 15% is distributed mostly betweenrepparttar 144791 U.S. andrepparttar 144792 U.K. gourmet specialty markets where it can fetch up to US$40/lb.

© Copyright Randy Wilson, All Rights Reserved.

© Copyright Randy Wilson, All Rights Reserved.

You can find more articles on coffee such as Coffee and Depression and Coffee Colonics.


How to Cook without Water

Written by Helen Porter,


Continued from page 1

Controlrepparttar heat It is important to start with a cold pot and to checkrepparttar 144711 heat throughoutrepparttar 144712 cooking process. Ifrepparttar 144713 heat is too high,repparttar 144714 steam will evaporate and destroyrepparttar 144715 food and possiblerepparttar 144716 cookware. When one cooks according torepparttar 144717 waterless method, we strongly recommend to maintain MEDIUM heat.

Get a vapor seal Start cooking at medium heat. Whenrepparttar 144718 slightest puff of steam escapes onrepparttar 144719 side ofrepparttar 144720 lid lowerrepparttar 144721 heat to low or simmer. After this, you may start counting forrepparttar 144722 cooking time. The lid now has formed a natural seal withrepparttar 144723 pot. We recommend to use 3-5 tablespoons of water inrepparttar 144724 beginning.

Donít peek Every timerepparttar 144725 cover is removed duringrepparttar 144726 cooking period, heat and steam are allowed to escape, which will lengthenrepparttar 144727 cooking period and dry outrepparttar 144728 food. If you canít resistrepparttar 144729 urge to peek, never forget to add a few extra tablespoons of water. Be specific: Ifrepparttar 144730 recipe calls for 10 minutes, donít start looking after 5 minutes.

Follow these simple steps and you should be fine!

Celeb chef Helen Porter cooks up a storm for www.simplyKitchenware.com the only place for cookware and kitchenware online!


    <Back to Page 1
 
ImproveHomeLife.com © 2005
Terms of Use