Continued from page 1
2. After completing all interviews, compare interview sheets/notes. Assign a number system if necessary to make an assessment that allows you to compare “apples to apples.”
3. Based on results of interviews, make a final decision on which candidates will be invited to office to be tested. During a 45-minute session, small tests are designed to test how applicants respond, how quickly they are able to grasp concepts, what type of questions they ask, etc.
4. After testing, a final decision is made and chosen applicant is contacted via a personal telephone call.
5. Contact each of other applicants (not being hired) and extend a personal message indicating that a final decision was made and that you wish them best in their job search. This is a consideration not given to most applicants, but it leaves a positive impression. You may also indicate that if you search for additional help in future, they are at top of your list! And, they will probably remember you because you took time to call.
6. The first item of business first day of employment is to have employee sign an Agreement that includes details on issues of confidentiality and a 30-day trial period. This window of time can vary but this is an excellent way of ensuring both sides are compatible before making any long-term assumptions. Agreement should include details of expectations for both sides as well as a method of actions taken in case of inappropriate actions/behavior before person would officially be let go. The clearer expectations, better for everyone.
Following guidelines provided, interview process can be efficient and effective, resulting in quality staff additions that truly enhance your business. Keep in mind that your business is unique and additional groundwork is required to focus on specific questions that provide answers you need to make best decision. Making thorough notes following each interview will ensure a clear recollection of each candidate when it comes time to select best candidate for job. Approach interview process by adhering to above guidelines, and expect a dynamic outcome as a result!