Continued from page 1
Read - 4 - r Write - 2 - w Execute - 1 - x None - 0 - -
- Read permissions are enabled with number 4 or letter r.
- Write permissions are enabled with number 2 or letter w.
- Execute permissions are enabled with number 1 or letter x.
- No permissions are enabled with number 0 or a dash.
Each of these permissions will be set for each of following:
Owner Group Other
To give you a better idea of how permissions are set, below is an example of a script that requires permissions to be set to 755 -- it breaks down like this:
7 - Represents permissions for Owner (you). The owner has been given Read, Write and Execute permissions. 4+2+1=7. This can also be written like this: rwx
5 - Represents permissions for Group (individuals with access to your server). The Group has been given Read and Execute permissions. 4+1=5. This can also be written like this: rx
5 - Represents permissions for Others (website visitors). The Others have been given Read and Execute permissions. 4+1=5. This can also be written like this: rx
755 is equal to rwxrxrx
Changing File Permissions with Your FTP program:
If you would like to set your file permissions through your FTP program, you can do so like this:
1. Log into your server and locate directory that contains your file. 2. Highlight file that you would like to change permissions. 3. Place your mouse pointer over file and right click to launch a menu. 4. Click on "chmod (UNIX) to launch "permissions" window. 5. Set your permissions and click on OK.
In addition to setting permissions with your FTP program, most web hosts will enable you to set permissions through your web page management system.
If you're managing your own website, having a good FTP program is an absolute must. Not only will it provide you with some independence, but it will also enable you to have complete control over your files.
Copyright © Shelley Lowery 2002.
This article was adapted from the highly acclaimed ebook series, Web Design Mastery. Web Design expert and author Shelley Lowery's latest ebook is an in-depth guide to professional web design that is rapidly becoming known as the "Bible" for professional web design. http://www.webdesignmastery.com