Continued from page 1
Recommended Culinary Books:
1. On Cooking by Labensky and Hause (Prentice Hall).
2. Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen (John Wiley).
3. The New Professional Chef, The Culinary Institute of America (Von Nostrand-Rheinhold).
Basic outline of courses taught in culinary arts courses:
* Culinary arts in modern food service.
* Culinary terms.
* Utensils, modern kitchen equipment, knives, and techniques of their usage.
* Basic cooking principles (dry and moist cooking and alternative methods).
* Five basic ("leading") sauces, secondary sauces ("small"), manufacture of stocks, soups.
* Seasoning and chefs flavoring.
* Classes in meat, poultry and seafood butchering and preparation.
* Ethnic cuisine, essential baking, starch and potato cookery, and vegetable cooking.
* Salads and "garde manger," breakfast service, sandwich making.
* Recipes and menu design.
Culinary Artist - Specializes in French & Thai Cuisine Date Posted : 14 - Feb - 2005 Website : http://www.best-cooking-school-culinary-arts-schools-classes.com