Continued from page 1
6. You will now be taken back to WinZip’s home window and you should see file/s you want to zip up in window.
7. Select file/s. If you have more than one, just hold down control and click all files, or, go to “File” and click “Select All.”
8. Once file/s are selected, go to "Actions" and on drop down menu click "Make .EXE file".
9. A pop-up menu will come up thanking you and reminding you to register. Just ignore registration request and click OK (you don't have to register). 10. Another pop-up window will appear and ask; "Create a self-extracting zip file from" You will see name of zip file that you created in Step 3.
11. Right below that you will see a blank that says "Default 'Unzip To' Folder". This is name of folder that files will automatically extract (unzip) to when people download files from your site. If that folder does not exist on person's PC, WinZip will create it for them. Don’t leave it blank, or it will automatically go in their TEMP folder. It is suggested that you list something here. Try to give it a name similar to filename so person will recognize it when they look for folder on their PC at some stage in future. In example we use here of eBook you could call it “eBook ; followed by whatever you are writing about. ”So if your book is about growing roses, you could call it “eBook Complete Rose Grower.” Click OK.
12. Now program will ask you if you want to test file which has just been zipped up. Click "Yes" and WinZip will run through unzipping process. This is same process user that has just downloaded your file/s will see.
13. Next pop-up box will tell you where file is unzipping from. This will be same location you selected in step 3.
14. Select "Unzip" and program will say; "1 file unzipped successfully" or if you had more than one file it will tell you how many were successfully unzipped. On your hard drive, there should have been a folder created called "Complete Rose Grower" (or whatever name you chose in Step 11) and files should be sitting there unzipped.
15. Now you're ready to take zipped file and upload it to your server so people can download.
16. Go to Windows Explorer and locate zip file that you created in step 3. So if you named it ebook, you should see a file called ebook.zip. This is file that contains all of your files inside that people will download. If you want to test it again, just double click on zip file and WinZip should extract files to folder you specified in step 11.
17. Now you need to upload this zip file to internet. Assuming you have a website from which to sell your eBook, you need to find an FTP program (File Transfer Protocol) to do this. There are many to choose from. Just do an Internet search for “FTP Program.” When installed program will help you upload file/s in effect, onto your site and therefore, internet.
18. For purposes of these examples let’s call your domain www.betterebooks.com (Please Note: This is not a real URL; at least it wasn’t at time of writing!). After you've uploaded file, you're ready to point people to link so they can download zip file.
19. As an example, you uploaded ebook.zip to a folder called “ebooks” and your domain name is "www.betterebooks.com" then link you will use to point to download will be something like; “http://www.betterebooks.com/ebooks/ebook.zip” The WinZip program creates this link automatically. When people click on this link it will immediately start download process.
20. After they download it unzipping program will unzip file to folder that you specified in step 11 on their hard drive.
Trevor Anderson www.buildyourownbusinesswebsite.com
I have recently put up a website www.buildyourownbusinesswebsite.com selling a CD to help newbys and existing (offline) businesses to build a simple but effective website to get their business online.
I am currently working on some software which I hope to sell to a niche market.