Continued from page 1
· Walking at a pace of 75–95 steps a minute will have you walking at a speed of about 2-3 miles per hour.
· Walk with your head up, looking out in front of you. Do not walk looking down right in front of you except to navigate any obstacles.
· Really take it easy first 5 minutes of walking to warm up. Afterwards, gently stretch for 5–10 minutes while your muscles are warm.
· Practice good walking form. Your arms should swing naturally in direction you are walking, not from side to side across your body. Your foot should strike ground on your heel, then a rolling motion forward toward ball of your foot, then pushing off with your toes.
And here are some basic walking shoes tips:
· Buy your walking shoes from a sporting shoes store with large selections. Doing so will give you plenty of choices. And buy your walking shoes later in day when your feet will be larger.
· Buy cushioned, supportive walking shoes. To see if a shoe is supportive, do this test: take a shoe and turn it upside down. Holding each end of shoe, try to fold it. If you find shoe bends in middle, then that shoe is not a supportive shoe. A supportive shoe should bend where your foot normally bends, near your toes.
· You should allow width of your index finger between end of your shoe and end of your longest toe, or about one-half inch.
· Buy two pairs of walking shoes, one for home and one for car or workplace. And if one pair gets wet, you can use other pair that day.
Walking is closest thing to perfect exercise. In today’s fast-paced society, regular walking can be a welcomed break from stress of day. Maybe you will get to know your neighborhood or neighbors better. There may be walking trails you have never seen but wanted to.
Wherever and however you choose to walk, not only can experience be fun, you will know you are being good to your body in a variety of ways. Besides incredible breast cancer statistics and findings of breast cancer study, walking helps with weight control and bone strength, elevates mood, helps build and maintain healthy muscles, joints and heart. With so many great health benefits, why not get started walking today!
Copyright 2005 InfoSearch Publishing
Olinda Rola is President of InfoSearch Publishing and webmaster of http://www.safemenopausesolutions.com - a website of natural treatments for a variety of health problems. For information about preventing breast cancer, breast cancer treatment and related articles, visit the website to read more.