Continued from page 1
On reverse side, ALT TAG stuffing, which is using tags in an image to hide keywords will rarely help a site's position. If you can insert a key phrase into image description then by all means do so. Remember that Alt tags do usually count towards your overall keyword density so it's better to have relevant keyword alt tags rather than something like "image01.gif".
6. Linking - with more search engines coming online every day, search engines are looking for ways to serve quality links to visitors. This is where linking to other sites and having them link to you becomes important to both you and search engine. People who assume that more inbound links to them will help them, are very wrong. This may have been true at one time but not today. Search engines need to give quality results. One way they have of rating your site is by quality of inbound links to your site. Therefore sites that are closely related to your site and that link to you will help boost your popularity in search engines. With Google this is a huge issue in how you rank with them. Having a hundred links from all sorts of site may result in hurting your ranking and you may be viewed as a link farm.
7. Spiders - A search engine is a database that has been put together by spiders. Spiders scour Internet going through pages and recording information available on web pages. Spiders then give information to database and database feeds results. Theoretically, web site should show up in search results next time engine updates. It is important that all links on your site be active. A dead link may prevent a spider from doing your entire site.
8. Robots Text file - Search engines will look in your root domain for a special file named "robots.txt" (http://www.mydomain.com/robots.txt). The file tells robot (spider) which files it may spider (download). This system is called, The Robots Exclusion Standard.
9. FLASH - This has to be one of top mistakes a web site owner can do to hurt their search engine rangkings. Good content will win over flash every time and getting visitors to your site is what you are trying to accomplish. The only thing search engines will be able to see when visiting a site where first page is all flash are title tags and links. In most cases that will not be enough. Over and over it's content rich pages that will get you rankings you need. You may have to decide between getting a high ranking or having a "pretty" entry page. Remember that you goal is customers and sales. It might be kewl first time you visit site but when you have to go there over and over again it becomes very annoying not to mention that people on dialup must cringe when faced with such a page. They often give up because of length of time it takes to load.
10. Don't expect results overnight. It takes time to get your ranking up there, even with paid inclusion. You may start out with a low ranking when you are first listed but as you continue to optimize your site and build "relevant" links you will start to see a gradual climb. As you wait for your rise to top, concentrate on building as many relevant links as possible. Beside increasing your ranking you will be surprised at number of referrals that you will received from those linked pages.
Jean Sutherland has successfully run her own ezine for over 6 years and has a subscriber base of 35,000. Her ezine is geared to people doing business online and beside offering free software, it also provides traffic & marketing tips, informative business articles, free ebooks and computer tips for those trying to work online. http://www.emailpromotions.net