3. Once you've chosen a number of ezines that target your audience, subscribe to them and examine ads closely. If you see an ad that keeps repeating issue after issue, you can be pretty sure that it's getting results. You've found a good ezine to advertise in.
4. Check to see how many ads are in ezine. You probably won't get much response from an ad in an ezine that has 15 or 20 ads per issue. Readers of those ezines have become hardened to ads and have learnt to skip them.
5. Check to see if ezine publisher has a policy of never running ads for two similar products in same issue - your ad will be much more effective if it's only one of it's kind in that particular issue.
6. Small ezines Vs. Big ezines: bigger is not always better. The big ezines with 1000's of subscribers tend to have more ads than small ezines. Also, small ezines with only a few hundred subscribers often have a much more targeted audience than big ezines.
7. Repeat your ads. Research shows that off Web, an ad has to be seen about 21 times before someone acts on it; on Internet it's about 9 times. If your budget allows, try and have your ad repeated at least three times in a particular ezine. Most ezines offer discount packages for bulk advertising.
8. Email address Vs. URL. The advantage of giving an email address is that it gives you opportunity to send a powerful sales letter to person who responded to your ad. It's also much easier to track your ads with an email address than a URL.
9. Offer something free in your ad copy. It'll often tip balance between a response and no response.
10. Keep your ads short, even if you're not using number of words you're allowed. Short ads are more likely to be read. Keep your sentences short too; they pack much more power. Use word 'You'. Don't describe your product but tell reader what your product can do for them.
Michael Southon is the publisher of 'The Free Directory of Ezines' http://www.netmastersolutions.com/ He is also the Editor of 'FreeZine Express', a twice-monthly newsletter that brings you details of new Ezines added to the TFDE as well as Articles and Tips on Ezine Advertising and Ezine Publishing. To subscribe, send a blank email to: mailto:FreeZineExpressfirstname.lastname@example.org