Continued from page 1
5. Find another home-based working mom to swap babysitting with. All home-based working moms need some dedicated time to work on their business tasks. By swapping with another mom, both can work on their businesses without adding to their childcare costs.
6. When buying new office equipment, go to a place that offers a low-price guarantee. You can save time and money by shopping at places that will refund any difference in price if you find product cheaper elsewhere.
7. If you are looking for computer equipment, consider buying used equipment. Look in classifieds and talk to others that may know someone looking to upgrade. Ask for warranty information and make sure machine is in good working condition. Also take a look at computer companies offering refurbished machines. Some are priced accordingly and usually come with some type of warranty.
8. Send postcards for direct mail solicitation. They are cheaper to print and less expensive to mail. Another advantage is that they are more likely to be read since they take no effort to open.
9. If you hire sales help, pay by commission only so you only spend money if you make money. A salesperson can increase your sales without adding any up-front fees or salaries.
10. Use pre-printed design papers for letterhead, brochures and business cards if you only need a small amount. The papers can be found at most large office supply stores, and they are great for new businesses trying to get started on a small budget.
These money-saving ideas should help with your budget but new business owners also need plenty of drive and determination to succeed. It takes time to develop and grow a business so be patient and give it all you've got!
Lesley Spencer is founder and president of the HBWM.com Network which includes: HBMW, http://www.WorkAtHomeKit.com, http://www.edirectoryofhomebasedcareers.com, http://www.momsworkathomesite.com, http://www.HBWMconferences.com, http://www.HBWMcanada.com and http://www.HireMyMom.com (coming soon!).