All right, folks, here you go: My 12 reasons why you should start learning how to play piano. Immediately. As in today. This very minute.
Okay, fine, finish this article first, THEN get started. And yes, I know that there are more than just 12 reasons to play piano. But I happen to like number 12. :)
1) Everyone should play at least one instrument. I truly believe that. Every person on Earth should be able to sit at SOME instrument and be capable of making beautiful music.
2) Playing piano makes you feel (and look) sophisticated. Truly. No matter who you are or how many warts you have, you'll just exude class second you begin tickling those ivories.
3) Piano playing keeps your brain active. It's very hard for your brain to rot when you consistently throw it musical language to interpret.
4) You won't run out of things to do when you're bored. There's always a new way to play, always a new approach to playing, and always, always, ALWAYS a new song to learn. (See number 8.)
5) Family members can live vicariously through you. I'm semi-serious about that. The reason I began taking piano lessons (back when I was 10) was because of grandparents who didn't play, and over years I've had numerous relatives enjoy playing through me. (I live to serve.)
6) People will automatically assume you're a genius. Honestly, I've heard this a lot. People uttering "He/she plays piano" in same tone reserved for "He/she has an IQ of 174." You just can't help but admire someone playing an instrument.