1. Participate in chat rooms related to your targeted audience. Watch what questions people are asking and ask others what information they're interested in.
2. Examine what information in being broadcast on tv, news and talk shows. That information is usually hot topics.
3. Hang out in similar message boards. People leave questions for information they're seeking. That is a strong indicator of subjects to write about.
4. Survey your web site visitors or current customers. Ask them what type of articles they would like to see published on your web site or in your e-zine.
5. Regularly check your site's guest books. People sometimes leave questions or comments that would help you generate high readership articles.