There are many web designers who are honest and will tell you exactly what you need to do to have a successful web site. Yet, there are others who want to create some fancy gadgets on your site, charge you a fortune, and completely rip you off... while you are watching your money go down drain.
The truth is you DON'T need a web designer to develop a site for your small business. If you have some computer skills and a little bit of time to devote to your web site, you can make it yourself and spend as little as $6.00 a month on it!
Here is a list of facts that you should be aware of before you pay your hard earned money to a web designer:
1. "Build it and they will come" theory is just a myth when it comes to online business. Nobody will come to your web site unless they are already familiar with your company or their friend has told them about your site.
2. "Pay a lot of money to your web designer to create a fancy web site with all bells and whistles and your sales will skyrocket overnight". This is another myth that many web design agencies are using to impress you with their skills and get you to buy their services. The fact is, most small businesses who are making money on Web have a simple web site with a good sales letter. No need to pay top dollars for technical gadgets.
3. "Get a web site for your business and make $5,000 within a month". Nothing can be further from truth. In fact, many businesses don't see any profit for 4-6 months! It takes time and a good marketing strategy to start getting sales.
4. "Sell just one product on your web site and make a lot of money on it" is not how successful business owners make profit online. They first attract their visitors with a free or very low-price item, generate a customer list of e-mail addresses and contact them over and over again with special offers and sales letters about a high-end product.
5. "Online marketing does not take any time at all because there are a lot of people out there surfing, who might stumble across your site and order from you". This myth was created especially for you - a busy business person who can't take time to promote web site on a weekly basis. Success takes time. The good thing about it is that it is so rewarding that you can't afford not to do that!