10 Fun Facts About HawaiiWritten by Donna Monday
1) Hawaii has eight main islands: Niihau, Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, and “Big Island” of Hawaii.
2) Hawaii is most isolated population center on earth. Hawaii is 2,390 miles from California; 3,850 miles from Japan; 4,900 miles from China; and 5,280 miles from Philippines.
3) Hawaii is only U.S. state that grows coffee.
4) More than one-third of world’s commercial supply of pineapples comes from Hawaii.
5) From east to west, Hawaii is widest state in United States.
6) The Hawaiian Islands mountain range tops are biggest in world.
A Little Color Here and There Makes The Hawaiian Shirt Exciting to WearWritten by Donna Monday
What good would a trip to Hawaii be without picking up an authentic Hawaiian shirt? Or, an “Aloha shirt” as native Hawaiians like to call them.
The Hawaiian shirt we know and love today was created from a combination of Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, native Hawaiian, and American fashion influences.
All of these influences came together in 1930s to create a shirt that put colorful native prints on silk fabric, with American-style tailoring.