Setting up a business online or even just setting up and maintaining a website requires similar entrepreneurial qualities as setting up and running a bricks and mortars company.
Here are 10 essential qualities commonly required if you are to make it a success.
1. Vision and Leadership It means having clearly defined goals and an uncanny ability to use innovation as a tool to get there. An entrepreneur must, of course, be a competent manager, but, more importantly, must lead way to success. It takes a leader to successfully start, run, and grow a business. Even if you are a leader of one at start!
2. An Open Mind People who are uncomfortable in accepting uncertainties cannot be good decision-makers. You must never cease to learn and grow. You will need an open mind to review and weigh up different decisions that you will be required to make daily. You will also need an open mind to listen to points of view of others.
3. Quick Thinker The ability to take quick decisions is key to success in this day and age of web cams, email, telephone and fax. You must be able to work under pressure and make sound decisions under such circumstances.
4. Energy Starting and running a business requires considerable energy and ability to focus on your objectives. 70 or 80 hours a week will be required which, if you are already in full time employed, quickly takes its toll. Energy levels must be high. It is vital you are in good health or you will not see your business through its' first year let alone its' first 5 or 10 years!
5. Sacrifice If you wish to be successful you must initially give up a lot. Time, weekends, holidays and even money. In first stages of a business you will have to forgo any earnings you may have received if you had stayed in full time employment. If you hold on to full time employment and start your own business you will soon find yourself working very long hours. For most people, there will be an overlap between employment and starting their own business. Are you able and willing to do this?